September 27, 2010

I wish

I wish we were unschoolers.  I've read the books.  I've done the research.  I have friends who unschool.
It looks so great, and organic and wonderful.  Some days, I want their life.

But, when left to their own devices, my kids only want to watch TV, all day long.  No, not educational TV, programs like Full House, Rugrats, Hannah Montana - over and over and over again.  I follow their interests, leaving fun and cool items strewn around, still the TV will call to them. 

Panic sets in - and I hunt for some curriculum, some interest to inspire them, something.


We are not unschoolers, and I'm okay with that.  We balance our days with some curriculum, some fun and games, some unit studies (somedays) and some child-delight-directed items and yes, some TV, too.  Okay, so we are eclectic, and I'm okay with that, too.

I want my children to work hard, love each other, follow God and have a lot of opportunities available to them.  Now and later in life.  My motto is work hard, keep those doors (opportunities) open, now, while we still are able to.  If they choose not to go through a certain door in the future, I'm perfectly fine with that, but wouldn't it be nice to have many options?  KWIM?

I wish we were unschoolers, but by being an eclectic home school family, we are able to pull from whatever philosophy fills our needs right now, today.   It's great being a homeschooler.

No comments: