March 2, 2011

Curriculum Hoarding

Does it count as hoarding, if what you are hoarding is curriculum?  I hope not!  I realized after our big basement flood last week (sump pump failure - no fun), that I have a LOT of curriculum, most of which I'm not using.  I have a really, really bad tendency to flit from item to item, and be sure that this is the perfect curriculum item for us.   Not realistic, I know.  But anyway, my point is I have way too much curriculum.

Free Clipart Picture of a Stack of Books. Click Here to Get Free Images at School Clipart
So, that brings the question of what to do with all those books?  I asked a friend of mine - she said, "Sell it all, if you miss something buy it used down the road."  Good advice, but I do know that I don't want to sell everything!  Ack...  So, I guess it's time to analyze what I have, what I realistically think we will use, and get rid of the rest.  Talk about pressure!

I guess it's time for a big clean-out - keep your fingers crossed that I make it through.

I'd love to hear from you - are you a curriculum hoarder?  How do you manage it all?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there! I'm new to your blog, but this was a great first read for me! :)

I am definitely a hoarder, lol. Even though we use an online curriculum now, I didn't always. So yes... I kept everything. Every curriculum that I tried (even the ones that didn't work!) and all of the workbooks I bought to help supplement while I was still searching for what worked.

Every book I bought to help me start homeschooling, I still have too. Homeschooling for Dummies, How to Homeschool on a Shoestring, The Unschooling Handbook, 4 homeschooling books by John Holt, and more...they are all still there. :)

We are 5 years into our homeschooling journey, and right now we are good with the groove we've got. I know I should sell a lot of that stuff, or even better, just donate it.

Maybe I will try to do a big clean-out as well. And maybe all those fingers that get crossed for you, can help me too! :D

I enjoyed reading this, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog!

Katie
A gadget junkie, workbook hating, TV watching, iPhone addicted, eclectic homeschooling, soccer mom of 2 boys

Kim said...

Thanks for stopping by, Katie! How's the clean-out going?